The holiday season is a critical time for businesses, and with the right email marketing strategy, you can make the most of this festive period to drive sales and engage with your audience.
According to research by Salesforce, almost two-thirds (68%) of holiday shoppers said they pay more attention to emails from companies during the holiday season.
5 Holiday Email Marketing Tips
To help you succeed in your holiday email campaigns, we’ve compiled five essential tips to ensure your messages stand out in the crowded inbox and bring joy to your customers.
1. Start Early and Plan Ahead
Don’t wait until the holiday rush to launch your email campaigns. According to a study conducted by the National Retail Federation, 46% of shoppers begin their holiday shopping before Halloween.
Start planning early and create a detailed email marketing calendar that includes important dates, promotions, and content ideas.
Additionally, emails sent at the beginning of the holiday season tend to stand out in the inbox and have a better chance of being read and engaged with by your audience. On the other hand, waiting until the last minute can lead to email fatigue and missed opportunities as customers are bombarded with holiday offers from multiple brands.
By preparing in advance, you can ensure your campaigns are well-thought-out and ready to go when the holiday season arrives.
2. Surprise New Subscribers with a Holiday-Themed Welcome Series
When fine-tuning your holiday email strategy, your welcome series can be a great way to captivate new customers, fostering a lasting relationship throughout the coming year.
Welcome emails on average generate up to 320% more revenue per email basis than other promotional emails. Additionally, subscribers who receive a welcome email show 33% more engagement with the brand. (Invesp)
Take the opportunity to enhance yours with a festive touch for the holidays.
3. Prioritize Email List Hygiene
Be sure to get your email list in tip-top shape to maximize your holiday campaign success. Maintaining good email hygiene is essential for optimizing the performance of your email campaigns and ensuring that your messages reach the intended recipients.
Regularly remove invalid, outdated, or inactive email addresses from your mailing list. These addresses can negatively impact your deliverability and may lead to your emails being marked as spam.
Use email verification services to check the validity and accuracy of email addresses in your list. This helps to eliminate fake or mistyped addresses, reducing bounce rates and improving engagement. Read more tips on email hygiene
4. Segment Your Audience
One-size-fits-all emails are not effective during the holidays – or really anytime. Instead, segment your email list based on factors such as past purchase behavior, demographics, and engagement level to increase the relevance of your messages and drive better results.
Consider segments specifically based on how your subscribers have engaged in previous years, such as in the following examples:
- Past Purchase Behavior: Customers who have purchased holiday gifts in the past or who have bought gifts for children in previous years.
- Engagement Level: Highly engaged subscribers who have opened all holiday emails.
- Early or Last-Minute Shoppers: Subscribers who have shopped early for holiday gifts or those who have made last-minute holiday purchases.
- Deal Shoppers: Subscribers who are most likely to respond to deals and special promotions.
Related Article: 8 Audiences You Should Reach this Holiday Season
5. Craft Compelling Subject Lines
Your subject lines play a crucial role in getting recipients to open your emails. Emails with personalized subject lines can increase open rates by 26%. (Campaign Monitor)
During the holiday season, when inboxes are flooded with promotional emails, your subject lines need to stand out and entice recipients to open your messages. Make them attention-grabbing and enticing, using holiday-themed language and urgency to encourage opens. A well-crafted subject line can significantly impact your email’s success.
Here are some tips for crafting compelling subject lines in your holiday marketing:
- Be Clear and Specific: Clearly communicate the content and purpose of your email in the subject line. Let your recipients know what to expect when they open the email, whether it’s a special offer, a holiday gift guide, or festive tips.
- Create a Sense of Urgency: Use words and phrases that create a sense of urgency and encourage immediate action. For example, “Last Chance for Holiday Savings!” or “Limited-Time Offer: 50% Off Today Only!”
- Incorporate Emotive Language: Tap into the emotions of the holiday season by using emotive language in your subject lines. Words like “Joyful,” “Magical,” or “Celebrate,” can evoke the spirit of the holidays.
- Use Holiday-Themed Keywords: Include holiday-themed keywords that align with your content and offerings. For example, “Holiday Cheers,” “Festive Favorites,” or “Unwrap Your Savings.”
- Add Symbols or Emojis: Use symbols or emojis sparingly to draw attention to your subject lines. However, be mindful of how they render on different email clients and devices.
- Create a Mystery or Intrigue: Spark curiosity with subject lines that hint at a surprise or exciting news. For example, “You Won’t Believe What’s Inside…”
With thoughtful and strategic execution, your holiday email marketing can be the key to a successful and joyful season for your business. Happy holidays and happy emailing!