By 2025, 85 million US customers will be in the Gen Z age group. Gen Zers, born between 1997 and 2012, is a generation that’s reshaping the rules of engagement between brands and their audience. Born into a world of smartphones, social media, and instant connectivity, these digital natives approach shopping and brand interactions in unique and innovative ways.
Gen Z has never known a world without the internet. Their digital fluency and tech-savvy nature define the way they approach shopping and engage with brands. Whether it’s discovering new products, seeking inspiration, or making purchasing decisions, Gen Z turns to their devices as primary touchpoints.
Brands must understand that Gen Z shifts between online and offline platforms, presenting both opportunities and challenges for engagement.
This is a generation that has $44 billion to spend and affects how $600 billion is spent by families, making it well worth the effort for brands to get to know and understand how to market to this lucrative generation.
Statistics on Gen Z Shopping Behaviors
- 65% of Gen Z customers think coupons and reward programs are worthwhile.
- 60% of Gen Z want to use texts to stay in touch with a brand.
- Many Gen Zers prefer shopping in physical stores, with a 67% majority.
- 67% of Gen Z would rather see real people in ads.
- 61% of Gen Z prefers brands that store and protect personal information in a safe way.
- 68% of Zoomers read at least three reviews before spending money on something for the first time.
- Positive scores and reviews can influence 62% of Gen Z to purchase from a company. (source)
15 Gen Z Marketing Tips
- Embrace Authenticity: Be genuine and transparent in your messaging. Research shows that 67% prefer to see real people in ads. Gen Z can quickly detect inauthenticity and is drawn to brands that share their values.
- Mobile Optimization: Ensure your website, ads, and content are optimized for mobile devices, as Gen Z heavily relies on smartphones for information and engagement.
- Visual Storytelling: Utilize visually appealing and concise storytelling through platforms like Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube to capture their shorter attention spans.
- Micro-Content: Craft bite-sized content that delivers value quickly. Short videos, infographics, and memes align with Gen Z’s preference for quick consumption.
- Inclusive Representation: Showcase diversity and inclusivity in your campaigns. Gen Z values the representation of different races, genders, and identities.
- Engage on Social Media: Active engagement on social media platforms is crucial. Respond to comments, and messages, and participate in conversations relevant to your brand. Focus on platforms that Gen Z frequents, such as Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, and YouTube.
- User-Generated Content: Encourage Gen Z to create content related to your brand. This fosters a sense of ownership and community engagement.
- Sustainability and Ethics: Highlight your commitment to sustainability, ethical practices, and social responsibility. Gen Z values brands that align with their environmental and social concerns.
- Interactive Experiences: Create interactive experiences such as polls, quizzes, and challenges that encourage participation and engagement.
- Collaborate with Influencers: Partner with influencers who resonate with Gen Z to extend your brand’s reach and credibility.
- Ephemeral Content: Utilize the temporary nature of Stories on platforms like Instagram and Snapchat to create urgency and FOMO (fear of missing out).
- Personalization: Tailor your messaging and offerings based on individual preferences and behaviors to enhance relevance.
- Value-Driven Messaging: Communicate the value your product or service brings to their lives rather than focusing solely on features.
- Educational Content: Provide informative content that aligns with Gen Z’s appetite for learning and self-improvement.
- Entertainment Factor: Infuse an element of entertainment into your marketing efforts. Humor, creativity, and fun resonate well with Gen Z.
Social Media Advertising Channels for Engaging Gen Z
Without a doubt, social media channels offer the best platform for brands to engage Gen Z. During a 2022 survey carried out among Generation Z consumers from the United States, 44 percent stated they would prefer brands to contact them via social media.
Research shows that over 60 percent of Gen Z shoppers have purchases products they had seen on social media.
The top channels they use are YouTube, TikTok and Instagram.
Share of Generation Z adults in the United States who use selected social media platforms in July 2022, by frequency.
YouTube Advertising Tips for Gen Z
YouTube’s educational and entertainment value resonates with Gen Z’s appetite for learning and visual content.
- Create videos that get to the point quickly and provide value or entertainment within the first few seconds.
- Use high-quality visuals and engaging thumbnails to capture their attention while scrolling through content.
- Cater to both short attention spans and longer engagement. Create shorter videos for quick consumption and longer, in-depth content for those seeking more information.
- Gen Z is curious and values learning. Create informative and educational videos that provide insights, tips, and knowledge.
- Infuse entertainment, humor, and relatable content into your videos. Gen Z appreciates content that makes them smile and engages them emotionally.
- Collaborate with other YouTubers, influencers, or experts who resonate with Gen Z. This can help you tap into their existing fanbase.
- Encourage viewers to subscribe, like, comment, and share your videos. Use clear and compelling calls-to-action to prompt engagement.
TikTok Advertising Tips for Gen Z
TikTok’s explosive growth has made it a Gen Z hotspot for short-form video content. Its algorithm-driven nature ensures your content reaches relevant audiences.
- Collaborate with TikTok influencers to amplify your brand’s reach and authenticity.
- TikTok is all about creative expression. Experiment with different video formats, effects, and music to create content that stands out.
- Keep your videos short and engaging. The optimal video length on TikTok is around 15 to 60 seconds, aligning with Gen Z’s short attention spans.
- Stay current with trending challenges, hashtags, and memes. Participate in these trends to boost the visibility of your content and show that you’re in touch with the platform’s culture.
- Utilize relevant and trending hashtags to increase the discoverability of your content.
- Grab attention within the first few seconds of your video. Gen Z tends to scroll quickly, so make the beginning of your video compelling.
- Music plays a big role on TikTok. Use popular songs or sounds that resonate with Gen Z to enhance your video’s appeal.
- Encourage user-generated content related to your brand or products. This not only boosts engagement but also enhances authenticity.
- If you’re promoting products, find creative and entertaining ways to showcase them. Avoid overtly promotional content; instead, make it feel like part of the TikTok experience.
- Create your own branded challenges to engage users and encourage them to participate and create content related to your brand.
Instagram Advertising Tips for Gen Z
As one of the most popular social platforms among Gen Z, Instagram encourages creative storytelling.
- Utilize Stories, Reels, and IGTV to showcase your brand’s personality, authenticity, and relatability.
- Leverage interactive features like polls, questions, and quizzes to encourage active engagement.
- Share genuine stories about your brand, its values, and behind-the-scenes moments to build a relatable and authentic image.
- Create entertaining and engaging videos that align with trends and challenges.
- Collaborate with micro-influencers who have a genuine connection with their followers. Their recommendations carry more weight with Gen Z than traditional celebrity endorsements.
- Utilize Stories and posts to announce flash sales, exclusive discounts, or limited-time promotions to create a sense of urgency.
- Take advantage of Instagram’s shopping features to make it easy for Gen Z to explore and purchase your products directly from your profile.
As the first true digital natives, Gen Z’s approach to shopping and brand engagement is a reflection of their interconnected world. Brands seeking to capture the attention and loyalty of this influential demographic must adapt to their preferences and cater to their unique behaviors.
Gen Z Marketing Solutions
Need to capture the attention of Gen Z? Our cutting-edge audience and media solutions are designed to help you reach Gen Z where they live – online and on social media platforms. With our data-driven insights and audience expertise, we can help you tailor your marketing efforts to resonate with Gen Z’s values, interests, and behaviors. Contact us to get started!