Furniture marketing is continually changing as consumer behaviors and preferences evolve.
Today, consumers are increasingly using digital platforms and online channels to shop for furniture. They seek inspiration from social media, explore websites and online marketplaces, and read customer reviews to make informed decisions.
The rise of e-commerce has provided convenience and accessibility, allowing consumers to browse a wide range of options from the comfort of their homes.
However, the furniture shopping experience often extends beyond the digital realm, with consumers also valuing the opportunity to physically touch and feel the products before making a purchase.
So, how can furniture retailers adapt to meet the evolving needs and expectations of modern furniture shoppers? Let’s explore these top six furniture marketing trends and tips.
1. Embracing the Digital Wave
The digital landscape has transformed the way consumers shop for furniture. According to research, 92% of shoppers begin their furniture search online. By having a strong digital presence, furniture marketers can tap into this online shift and position themselves where their potential customers are actively seeking inspiration and products. A well-designed website, an engaging social media presence, and strategic online advertising all contribute to attracting and capturing the attention of these consumers.
- 83% of furniture shoppers conduct online research before making a purchase. (Google – Consumer Insights, 2021)
- In a similar study, the stats were slightly lower but just as impressive. 67% of consumers research furniture online before making an in-store purchase. (Walker Sands – Future of Retail Study, 2021)
- The furniture e-commerce market is projected to reach $209.5 billion globally by 2026. (Statista – Furniture E-commerce Market Size Worldwide, 2021)
2. The Rise of Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Showrooms
To bridge the gap between digital browsing and in-store visits, furniture marketers are focusing on creating seamless online-to-offline experiences, incorporating augmented reality (AR) and virtual showrooms.
By superimposing 3D models of furniture onto real-world environments, AR technology allows customers to see how a particular piece would look and fit in their homes before making a purchase.
For furniture retailers, AR and virtual showrooms enhance customer engagement, reduce the need for physical showroom space, and provide valuable data on customer preferences and behaviors.
- 61% of consumers are more likely to make a purchase from a retailer that offers AR experiences. (Retail Perceptions – Consumer Attitudes Towards AR, 2022)
- Furniture brands using AR experience a 135% increase in conversions. (Marxent – AR and VR in Retail, 2021)
- 79% of consumers would be more likely to purchase furniture after experiencing a virtual showroom. (Furniture Today – The Impact of Virtual Reality on Furniture Retailing, 2021)
- Brands using virtual showrooms see a 41% increase in time spent on their website. (Marxent – AR and VR in Retail, 2021)
3. Sustainable and Eco-Friendly Designs
The industry is also witnessing a shift towards sustainability, with consumers placing a greater emphasis on eco-friendly designs and brands that prioritize responsible manufacturing practices. As consumers become more environmentally conscious, they are actively seeking furniture options that align with their values of sustainability and responsible consumption.
- 62% of consumers prefer to buy furniture from brands that prioritize sustainability. (GlobalWebIndex – Sustainable Living Report, 2022)
- Sustainable furniture sales are expected to reach $54 billion by 2023. (Source: Grand View Research – Sustainable Furniture Market Size, 2021)
4. Influencer Partnerships
Influencer partnerships can significantly impact consumer behavior. When influencers showcase furniture products and share positive experiences, their audience perceives it as a form of peer recommendation.
Consumers are more likely to trust the opinions of influencers they follow, considering them as reliable sources of information and inspiration. This peer influence drives consumers to explore the recommended furniture items and consider them for their own homes.
- 77% of furniture shoppers are influenced by social media content when making purchasing decisions. (Alliance Data – Consumer Perspectives on Furniture Shopping, 2021)
- 52% of furniture brands collaborate with influencers to promote their products. (Furniture Today – Social Media and Influencer Marketing in the Furniture Industry, 2021)
5. Connected TV (CTV) Advertising
In the rapidly evolving landscape of advertising, CTV advertising has emerged as a powerful medium for furniture marketers to engage with their target audience. With the growing popularity of streaming services and connected devices, CTV advertising offers unique opportunities to showcase furniture products and inspire consumers in the comfort of their homes.
- 46% of CTV viewers say they are more likely to make a purchase after seeing a relevant ad on their connected device, indicating the influence of CTV advertising on furniture purchasing decisions. (SteelHouse – CTV Advertising Report, 2022)
- 75% of CTV viewers have taken action on an ad by visiting a website, searching for more information, or making a purchase, showcasing the direct impact of CTV advertising on driving consumer engagement and conversions. (SteelHouse – CTV Advertising Report, 2022)
- CTV ads have a lower cost per thousand impressions (CPM) compared to traditional linear TV ads, making it a cost-effective choice for furniture marketers looking to reach a targeted audience. (eMarketer – CTV Advertising Pricing Trends, 2021)
6. Marketing to New & Pre-Movers
Moving to a new home is an exciting time for individuals and families, presenting a prime opportunity for furniture retailers to connect with potential customers. By understanding the needs and preferences of those in the midst of a move, furniture retailers can strategically target this audience and provide them with the perfect furnishings for their new space.
- Increased Spending during Relocation: On average, movers spend 3.4 times more on furniture and appliances than non-movers. (Epsilon)
- Desire for New and Customized Furniture: 44% of movers express an interest in purchasing new furniture for their new homes. (Epsilon)
- Online Research and Shopping Habits: 80% of movers conduct online research when looking for furniture and home goods. (Epsilon)
- Targeted Direct Marketing: 82% of movers notice and engage with direct mail specifically related to their move. (Epsilon)
- Research and Purchase Before the Move: 34% of movers research and purchase before the move, and 43% purchase within the first month.
Source: New Mover Trends Report
As the furniture industry continues to evolve, retailers can expect even more innovative approaches that will make furniture shopping a seamless and personalized consumer journey. Embracing these changes will enable retailers to thrive in a competitive market and cater to the evolving preferences of consumers.
Marketing Solutions for Furniture Retailers
Are you a furniture retailer looking to revolutionize your marketing strategies and boost your business to new heights? Our comprehensive audience and marketing solutions help you reach furniture shoppers more effectively. Contact us today to get started!